If tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich are comfort food to you, you’re going to love this recipe.
Speaking of which, I have a fun story about tomato soup and grilled cheese. Back when I was in college and living in an apartment for the first time (read: cooking for myself for the first time), I decided to make a recipe for roasted tomato soup with a grilled smoked mozzarella sandwich. It was super fancy for a girl who had been living off Lean Cuisines, ramen noodles and a meal plan the last two years and needless to say, it was taking a lot longer than I thought. I was running late for a sorority meeting as I was finishing up the last steps. When I put the tomato soup in the blender and turned it on, all of a sudden, scalding hot tomato soup was spinning through the air. My arms were burnt and my white dress was destroyed. There was tomato soup in my hair. There was tomato soup coating the counter. There was literally tomato soup on the ceiling. It. Was. Awful.
Now, this lovely green soup did not end up all over my ceiling because now I am an adult and part of being an adult is owning way more kitchen equipment than you’ll ever need, which includes an immersion blender. Yay adulting!
This soup is made by blending is made with spinach and apples for a hint of sweetness. I threw lots of herbs in there too to brighten it up, as well as bacon, because bacon. I love the combination of smoky, savory flavor with bright and fresh herbs! To thicken it, I used soaked cashews, which adds a really light nutty flavor and perfectly creamy texture.
Of course, I had to serve this with a decked out grilled cheese sandwich made with sharp cheddar and creamy goat cheese. I added bacon jam because I had a little leftover from a jar I got at Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have it, just leave it off or try a little fruit jam for a hint of sweetness – trust me!
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Fuji apples, chopped
- ½ cup cashews
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup parsley
- Cook bacon in a large pot on medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add olive oil to the pot with bacon grease and when hot, add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes until tender. Add apples and cashews and cook for 3 minutes. Pour in broth, bring to a simmer and cook until apples are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add spinach, green onions, cilantro and parsley. Cover and simmer until wilted then turn off heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully puree soup until creamy. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide between four bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 8 slices bread
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Bacon jam, optional
- Spread four slices of bread with goat cheese. Top with cheddar cheese.
- If using bacon jam, spread across remaining slices of bread. Top sandwich with bacon jam bread and press down to help it stay together.
- Heat a little butter in a skillet. When melted, add sandwiches and grill, pressing down to help it melt, until crispy on one side. Flip and cook until crispy on the other side. Enjoy with spinach soup.
More creamy pureed soups: