Packed with fall flavor, this cranberry apple cobbler cake is the perfect ending for your Thanksgiving feast!
It’s almost Thanksgiving!! Eeeeee!!!
I love Thanksgiving because, well, I love food. And there’s no better holiday for food lovers than Thanksgiving.
Last year we didn’t get to celebrate Thanksgiving. 😢 But don’t feel too sad for us because we were on a plane to Hawaii. So while I didn’t get turkey and stuffing, I did get a coconut creme malasada after a long jog by the beach, enjoyed the most spectacular sunset I’ve ever seen from our balcony, and stuffed myself silly with a sushi dinner from the best sushi restaurant in Honolulu. Traditional, no, but I’m not complaining.
This year, I’m making up for what I missed. Epic appetizer spread. Check. Mom’s stuffing. Check. Enough bird to feed thirteen. Check. Failproof Thanksgiving-y dessert. Check.
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge was to create a healthier holiday dessert. Even though health is the last thing on my mind on Thanksgiving, I tend to gravitate towards less rich desserts after a casserole-heavy Thanksgiving meal. In the fight for premium space in my stomach, mac and cheese beats pie any day.
For the past few years, I’ve tried to bake pie, only to have an epic kitchen fail. When will I ever learn that pie crust is just not my forte? Well, this year. Because instead of making a pie, I’m making this cranberry apple cobbler cake. It’s reminiscent of pie, but with a curse free crust.
Because this cake is super rustic, you don’t have to worry about making it look pretty – mess ups just add to it’s aesthetic appeal. Rather than getting an arm workout in rolling out pie crust and praying for it not to crack, the shortbread-like crust is made by dolloping dough over the top. I just love how the juicy, cranberry red filling bubbles through!
What are your favorite Thanksgiving desserts? Leave a comment below!
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or regular sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- 2 medium apples, cored and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together ¾ cup sugar and coconut oil and beat on medium-high speed until well combined. While on medium-high speed, add one egg at a time, scraping down sides after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract. Slowly add in flour mixture until dough forms.
- Divide dough in half. Press half the dough into the bottom of a cake pan. Toss fruit with 1 tablespoon sugar and place on top of dough. Break the rest of the dough into rounded tablespoon sized pieces and distribute over the fruit.
- Bake 35 minutes until golden.