Enjoy this vegan black bean soup with mango salsa, perfect for the transition from summer to fall! Make extra salsa for snacking!
Confession: I totally ate this soup in bed. Please don’t judge me.
Remember Carrie’s secret single behavior from Sex in the City – eating saltine crackers and jelly while reading fashion magazines. With all the work travel my husband has done lately, I’ve realized eating dinner in bed with Netflix on while playing on pinterest is my secret single behavior…that’s kind of gross isn’t it? Seriously, what would I have done if I spilled a bowl of black bean soup in bed?
Okay, so I just discovered this article and now I feel less weird. I love that all secret single behavior involves food – proof that we all have our weird food habits which makes it not so weird at all.
So what are you watching on Netflix? I just got into American Crime, like, last week. And now I’m on season 2. Hey, there was a sick day in there so don’t judge.
Speaking of sick days, this soup is kinda perfect for those late September sick days. It’s still kinda summery, but it’s also soup. What is it with this time of year? Late September, you get me every time.
You might want to make extra salsa to have on hand for a snack with tortilla chips. Or, skip the step and use jarred salsa verde or even peach salsa. Pro tip: this soup is also really tasty topped with avocado and lots and lots of cilantro.
- 1½ tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 lb black beans, cooked
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat sunflower oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, garlic and a large pinch of salt. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes total.
- Add black beans, cumin, and oregano along with 6 cups of broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the salsa. Mix together the mango, onion, jalapeno and lime juice. Season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree about half the beans. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
More bean soup recipes: