With quick pickled cucumbers and radishes, pepper jelly, crunchy sprouts and provolone, I feel comfortable naming this the ultimate veggie avocado sandwich!
I love how in today’s world, food has the ability to transcend the plate and become part of pop culture. The first instance I can remember was milk with it’s celebrity packed ‘Got Milk?’ campaign. Please tell me I wasn’t the only one who hung the ads from my favorite celebrities on my wall? More recently, kale became a fashion statement with witty t-shirts capitalizing on it’s rhyming ability. And of course the bacon trend, inspiring every young, hip chef to get a pig tattoos, which surely, they will not regret at all in 40 years.
As a food lover, I get a kick out of it. Except when one of my favorite foods is the subject, because although it’s fun seeing it on every menu, it means eventually, people will get sick of it and it will become passe.
Guys, I’m kind of scared for avocado toast! It’s been going strong for a good couple of years, so maybe it’s going the way of meatloaf and pizza to become a classic? But what if it isn’t?? Will there be a day when I post my morning avocado toast on instagram and not get any likes?
The last thing I want to do is contribute to avocado toast burnout, so today, I’m sharing a recipe for avocado sandwich. See guys, it’s like avocado toast, but even better because you get two slices of bread which holds even more stuff!
Let me just say, the suff in this avocado sammie is pretty magical, which is why I felt comfortable naming it ‘The Ultimate’. First, there’s the secret ingredient – pepper jelly. If you live in the South, surely you’ve had it dumped over cream cheese as an appetizer. Unless it was served at a party I was attending, because then I would have eaten it all before you got a chance to try. If you haven’t heard of it, pepper jelly is a sweet and spicy condiment made by using spicy peppers to make jam and also the most perfect addition to a cheese plate. There’s also quick pickled cucumbers and radishes for peppery tang, crunchy pumpkin seeds and sprouts, and provolone cheese for good measure.
- ½ seedless cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, very thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 slices sprouted whole grain bread, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons pepper jelly
- 1 large avocado, sliced or mashed
- ½ cup sprouts or microgreens
- 1 sprig of dill, chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Place cucumber and radish slices in a bowl. Top with salt and pour the vinegar over the top. Let sit 10 minutes to pickle, then drain.
- Once toasted, spread 4 slices of bread with pepper jelly. Top with avocado, sprouts, dill and pumpkin seeds. Layer the cucumber and radish slices on top. Add a slice of provolone and top with the remaining slice of bread. Enjoy!
More avocado + bread love children: