Classic migas, a Tex-Mex dish of eggs cooked with tortillas and vegetables, is my favorite 15 minute meal!
In yesterday’s Wellness Wednesday post, I mentioned there are some nights I feel tempted order pizza rather than cook a homemade meal. Yes, us dietitians are human. The strategy I shared for temptation bundling, which has turned cook time into my downtime, is definitely the main thing that keeps me from dialing in an order of Kung Pao, but I also have another trick up my sleeve.
Meet migas, my favorite 15 minute meal.
Migas is a Tex-Mex dish made of scrambled eggs cooked with tortillas, onions, chiles, tomatoes and topped with cheese. Not much of a looker, but it makes up for that in taste and hearty satisfaction. Oh, and the fact that it takes hardly any time and is made with ingredients that 87% of the time I already have on hand.
Feel free to dress this recipe up with chorizo and red peppers. Or, you could swap out the cheddar for feta, queso fresco or pepper jack. You could also simplify the recipe to the essentials – eggs, tortillas and onion. If I make this for breakfast I’ll serve it with fresh fruit. For dinner, it’s either a side salad dressed with lime juice and sea salt, or canned refried beans, depending on my hunger level.
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 ounces tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 8 large eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, preferably organic
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato and saute until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add tortilla chips, stir to combine and cook until slightly crisped, about 2-3 minutes.
- Push the vegetables and tortillas to one half of the skillet. Pour the eggs into the other half. Cook, pushing the outside of the eggs towards the center until cooked about halfway, then stir the entire mixture to combine and cook all of the way through.
- Top with cheese and serve.
You Might Also Like: