Last week in the Weight Loss Without Calorie Counting program I just wrapped up, the topic was how to plan balanced, weight loss friendly meals without counting calories. We were discussing recipe modification when one of the participants brought up a totally yummy sounding lasagna recipe, featuring 3 types of cheese. I gave her some suggestions, but as I was driving home, I kept thinking there was some other way to keep the creamy, cheesiness of it without, well, cheese.
Seriously, you will fall in love with this cauliflower sauce! It amazed me that a vegetable I used to associate with bland, soggy frozen mixes can transform into something so rich. If you’ve got a high powered blender, like a Vitamix or Blendtec, I bet the results are even better.
- 8 ounces 100% whole wheat penne
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, in florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 pint sungold tomatoes, halved
- Chopped basil, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Place cauliflower in a large bowl with a couple tablespoons of water. Microwave for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place cauliflower, sauteed vegetables, almond milk, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Heat an additional tablespoon of olive oil in the same large skillet on medium-high heat. Add squash and saute until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and saute and additional 2 minutes until softened. Add cauliflower sauce and warm through, 2-3 minutes. Add pasta and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper.