As you might know, I was in Costa Rica all last week and I’m very sad to report that I’m back home. As I’ve been singing in my head the past 24 hours, it’s back to life, back to reality. Costa Rica was more beautiful than I could have imagined. Just driving through the countryside, checking out the little snapshots of their simple and laid back life was one of my favorite things to do. It was really hard not to accidentally miss my flight back.
I’m a little ashamed to share today’s recipe because frankly, my pictures are horribly ugly and out of focus…and it doesn’t help that I burnt it a little too. Yet, this cauliflower crust calzone was too delicious not to share, despite what appearances might imply.
- 1 head caulifower, stemmed and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and sliced
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 2 ounces brie cheese, sliced
- Place the cauliflower florets in the food processor and process until it's a rice-like consistency. Place in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Scoop the cooked cauliflower onto a clean dish towel, let cool for a few minutes, then wrap the towel over the cauliflower and twist to squeeze out extra liquid.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place cauliflower back in the large bowl. Add egg, garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Spread the dough on a (very) well greased baking dish and press into a large, thin circle, about ½-inch thick. Place in the oven and bake about 8-10 minutes.
- While the crust is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. When hot, add sliced kale. Toss to cover with olive oil and add a few tablespoons of water to help it cook. Cook, tossing frequently, until wilted, about 8 minutes.
- When the crust has cooked, remove it from the oven and spread the tomato sauce over one half. Top with greens then cheese. Carefully fold the clean half over the toppings. If it breaks, just patch it up and it will be fine. Return to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.