Normally, I’m not a big fan of meat substitutes. I love homemade veggie burgers and I usually prefer tofu and tempeh dishes to chicken or beef. But vegan chicken nuggets? Fake steak strips? No thank you.
Whenever I need a quick meal, I normally head up to our local health food store, Earth Fare, for a couple of their deli items. Because of my distaste for “fake meat,” I always passed over their vegan chicken salads. But one time, I mistakenly grabbed a vegan chicken salad wrap instead of the regular, and thus my obsession began. No clue how they make it, and frankly, don’t care. It’s gooooood.
It was this obsession that got me to try this recipe for an eggless “egg” salad. Eggs are perfectly nutritious and all, but tofu really mimics the egg white consistency and is a great way to sneak in a meatless meal. Enjoy!
- 1 block extra firm tofu or baked tofu
- ¼ cup vegan mayo (or olive oil mayo - it won't be vegan, but it'll still taste awesome)
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup carrot, grated
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu. Mix with the remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Serve in a sandwich or on a bed of lettuce.