Once I got to college, I was forced to make breakfast a daily habit. My roommate and I always ate lunch together between classes, but our break was around 1 pm and the risk of me falling into a hypoglycemic coma was high.
Never having been a breakfast eater, I played around with options to see what would satisfy for the next five hours. Cereal filled me up for maybe 5 minutes and
cake muffins, pancakes and other sugary stuff made me nauseous so early in the morning. Eventually I came upon the magical combination of whole grain toast, cheese and an egg, which kept me satiated, and became my breakfast standard for the next five years.
Although eggs are no longer vilified, I wanted some vegan options to start my day. I love oatmeal and smoothies, but I much prefer savory breakfasts and I was craving my that old combo of crispy toast topped with creamy, fatty goodness. So when I stumbled upon avocado toast, I was smitten!
Many mornings I keep it simple with sprouted grain toast topped with smashed avocado and hot sauce or sriracha. But it’s me, so most of the time I like to throw on all the fixins’.
Over the years, I’ve come up with many different combinations, but these are my three favorites. When possible, I like to chop and cook ingredients in advance for easy assembly in the morning.
Do you do avocado toast? What are your favorite toppings?
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thin sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 avocado
- 8 slices 100% whole grain bread, toasted (Ezekiel is my favorite!)
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes and onions, sauté until soft and onions are lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each slice of toast with ¼th an avocado and ¼th of the vegetables.
- 4 slices 100% whole grain or sprouted grain bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Handful of microgreens
- Sea salt
- Spread the toast with mashed avocado. Top with radish, microgreens and garnish with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- 2 slices 100% whole grain or sprouted grain toast
- 1 small avocado
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Hot sauce
- While the bread is toasting, heat the olive oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add the eggs and cook until whites are mostly set. Flip and cook one minute more.
- Spread toast with mashed avocado. Top with fried egg and drizzle with hot sauce.